Sunday, March 24, 2013

What we're learning this week

Happy Sunday, y'all! I am at home resting up/cleaning/watching tv in preparation for the very busy 4 day week ahead of me. I have a feeling that these last few months of school are going to go by incredibly fast due to how much stuff we've already got planned. Here is what we'll be doing this week and some of the anchor charts I hope to make.

Math: Graphing! This week will be our second week of graphing. My kiddos really seem to "get' graphing. They've already conducted their own surveys and turned their data into either a picture or bar graph. Most of them can also identify what information might be missing from graphs that I draw on the board. I love the plant graph that Cara Carroll just blogged about over at The First Grade Parade. We aren't studying plants right now but we can still conduct the survey and graph our favorite plants, right??? Also, at some time this week, I have to finish up assessing for report cards. Those go home on Thursday! Yikes!

Writing: Poems, Similes, and Metaphors: We worked on poems last week (cinquain, acrostic, and haiku) and will continue working on poems on Monday and Tuesday. Then, we will introduce similes and metaphors and try to incorporate them into our writing pieces. These topics made for some good laughs when my team was planning since we even have a hard time keeping the two figures of speech straight. I imagine it being pretty confusing and difficult for my kiddos too. I'll have to create a list of common ones to display in the room for future reference and try to make it memorable.

Reading/Social Studies: Fairy tales & Texas State Symbols: This will be our second week of Texas state symbols. We've only covered the flag, the bluebonnet, and our state grass so far so we've got quite a few to cover this week. I really like this Texas State Symbols anchor chart that Cara Carroll from The First Grade Parade made. I am hoping to recreate it. (Can you tell that I really like the anchor charts that Cara makes?!?)
During reading, we will be learning about fairy tales and I have, yet another, anchor chart that I want to make via Ms. Lesli Ann at Life in First Grade. It is going to be an artistic week for this teacher!!

Science: Life Cycle of a Butterfly: Last week, I received worms in the mail. Strange, right? We have been watching them move around and continue to eat the past few days. I am hoping that some of them decided to climb up to the sticky part of this cup over the weekend to begin their chrysalis phase.
What are you up to this week? 11 weeks until summertime!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing!!
https://blugraphy.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing!!
https://blugraphy.com

Post a Comment