Friday, January 4, 2013

Craft Day


Craft day was a success! Here is my inspiration (via Brassy Apple), found from the amazing time-waster that is Pinterest. Brassy Apple took a canvas, covered it in fabric, placed sticker letters on the fabric, painted the canvas, and then peeled off the stickers. Here is her end result:
I originally planned to do this same thing but in wedding colors and with a different quote. So, after rummaging through my craft box, (I found grey paint and brushes) I headed to Jo-Anns, Hobby Lobby, and Hancock Fabrics to get the rest of my supplies. I checked Jo-Anns first but none of their fabric really caught my eye. I went to Hancock Fabrics next and found some really great chevron fabric. Then I went to Hobby Lobby to get a canvas and some letters. (Only had to spend $10 thanks to a gift card I got from one of my sweet students for Christmas!) I was not impressed with the sticky letters that Hobby Lobby had so I bought stencils, which took this idea from a 2 hour project to an almost 5 hour project. More on that later.

First, I laid my fabric out and placed the canvas on top of it. I then cut around the canvas, leaving about 2 inches of fabric on each side. I tried to center it up and make it as straight as possible but it still ended up a little crooked. (A fun little fact about me: I can't draw a straight line to save my life. Even with a ruler and double and triple checking, my lines are still really, really crooked. So, a little bit of crookedness didn't bother me.) After centering up the fabric, I staple-gunned the heck out of it and cut off the excess fabric.

Now it was time for the fun part. The verse I decided on is, 'And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13.' If I followed Brassy Apple's tutorial, this would have been when I would put the sticky letters on the fabric and then painted over the entire thing in grey. Then when the letters are pulled off, the chevron would show though. However, I was worried the grey would be too dark, didn't have sticky letters, and wanted more of the chevron to show. After discussing with Megan, I decided to do the opposite, which meant placing, taping, and painting each letter grey and leaving the chevron fabric showing. Oftentimes this meant stopping and waiting for the paint to dry before placing the next letter. It was painful! I had four inch stencils in brush font for the word Love and two inch stencils in a different font for the rest of the verse. This is what I had completed after an hour due to the stencils overlapping:
After another two hours and lots of tiny pieces of tape, I was pretty much done for the day. I still need to clean up a few spots where my unsteady hand and tiny pieces of tape failed. It isn't absolutely perfect but I really like it.

I'm thinking about searching some thrift stores to find an over-sized frame to put around this canvas and hang somewhere in my house. Similar to the photo below via Melissa Darst Photo.
Thoughts? Anybody know where I can find a cheap over-sized frame? Done any crafting lately? 

Have a good weekend! I'm hoping the next two days C-R-A-W-L by. 5am Monday morning is going to be rough! 

~Holly


4 comments:

Chrissy + Nate said...

That looks so good, Holly! Yellow and gray look so pretty together, and chevron is such a fun pattern! Have a good weekend!

Chrissy + Nate said...

And I am writing a post on my blog sharing your blog with my readers! I hope it gets you some new followers (and I borrowed some pictures from here: hope that's okay: let me know if it's not and I'll take them down)!

Laurie @ Stylin Savanna said...

This is fabulous! I love chevron. Seriously..L.O.V.E it:) Excited to follow your blog! xo

Hall Around Texas said...

It looks awesome! Love those colors.

Post a Comment