Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Gol' Darn Gone and Done It

Well, I've done it. I finally decided to join the blogging world. Cue the crowd applause! I have debated starting a blog for quite a while - I just wasn't sure if I'd have time to keep up with it or if I'd have anything to blog about. I'm not much of a seamstress or creative genius, I don't have kids, and I don't have my own house. What else is there to talk about in blogland if you're not posting about your children, latest craft, or decorating tips?

What I've come up with so far is:

~ School: I began my first year of teaching in August and it has completely consumed my life. I have known for my entire life that I belong in the classroom. There was never a plan B. It has always been teaching. After I graduated in May, I spent the entire month of June sending emails and filling out applications. (200+ emails and applications, actually!) It was tiring and incredibly discouraging at times, but it paid off and I finally found the job that I know God prepared for me - First Grade!! Blogging about things that I've learned about the profession so far, activities we've done, and some of the hilarious things that my kiddos do and say will probably take up a good bit of this blog.
Classroom as I found in in August:
 Meet the Teacher Night: Things look VERY different now. We've got anchor charts all over the wall and lots of words on our word wall. Will update soon.

~ Wedding Planning: During that aforementioned rough month of June, one big happening brought my spirits up: after three years with my sweet Newly (yes, that is his real name), I got engaged! We have set our wedding date for November of 2013 and while I have been slow to start making the millions of decisions that come along with a wedding, we have gotten a few of the "big" things taken care of; engagement pictures (see below), wedding date, dress!!!, wedding band, venue, and caterer.

Did I mention that we are HUGE Texas Ranger fans?? 
We did take some "normal" engagement pictures too. These are just a few of our baseball themed save-the-dates. Big thanks to Emma Goode Photography!



~ The occasional craft: Sadly, I haven't had much time to craft since I was hired in July. Even when I am at home and technically "off," my computer is open and I am searching pinterest for new ideas, working on lesson plans, or cutting out and laminating math station games. However, I foresee more time for crafts in the future. I would assume that they'll be wedding decor crafts but I am sure I can squeeze in the occasional home and school craft here and there too. In fact, to finish off my two week long CHRISTMAS break, I have a craft day date on Friday with a fellow first year teacher at my school, Megan. She's an awesome fifth grade teacher and she's starting her own Teacher's Pay Teacher's account. Check it out and follow HERE!

~Lastly, and certainly guaranteed to be the most boring of my ideas, The Great Wedding Tone-Up: I've never been a big exercise person. I do get some exercise and most people would consider me skinny (I'm tall and clothes hide a lot!) but I'd like to tone up and take care of some of the "jelly" that I've got going on. I need to get over my gym intimidation and wimpy tendencies and Just (stinkin') Do It! I am not sure where I will find the time, but it is mandatory that I do.

That's all I've got to share for now. Any blogs that I absolutely must follow? Or blogging advice?

Happy New Year, Y'all!

6 comments:

Hall Around Texas said...

So excited you started a blog! And your first post was amazing!! So much to look forward to. I am incredibly happy for you and Newly and wish you the absolute best.

AND - I know you are the best teacher!! You were born for that job. You are so good and patient with kids and they just adore you!

xoxo
Crystal

Hall Around Texas said...

Oh and the below is a must-read! It's awesome.

http://www.kellehampton.com/

Chrissy + Nate said...

Yay! I am so excited to start reading: by the sound of it, you have plenty to talk about! Can't wait to read all of your teacher stories and wedding planning ideas... blogging is so fun! And there are TONS of teacher blogs out there: I would recommend starting with The First Grade Parade, since you teach first grade and all. She has tons of followers and maybe through her site you can find some more teacher blogs that you like. They are addicting! Have fun!

http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com/

Holly said...

Thank you, Chrissy! I actually do read follow The First Grade Parade in my google reader but I hadn't put it on here yet. I love her blog! Thanks for the follow!

Holly said...

You're so sweet! Thanks, Crystal! I'm hoping to be able to keep up with the blog when school starts back up. Maybe it'll make me get my school stuff done faster so I can get to the blog. =) Thank you for the blog suggestion too. After one look, I already love it!

Mrs. Arentz said...

Hi Holly,

I just love your engagement pictures! My blog advice is to stick with it and ask questions when you are stuck. Building up followers takes time. When you can't figure out how to do something, just ask. There are so many helpful bloggers willing to share their tips with you. :)

Have your read Kristin's blog, A Teeny Tiny Teacher, yet? Not only does she have a lot to share about teaching, she is hilarious!
You'll find her here...
http://www.ateenytinyteacher.com

Take care,
Wendy

Read with Me ABC

Post a Comment